Sunday, November 22, 2009

America's Historic Trilogy




That is how LibertyStatePark.org describes the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and CRRNJ Terminal.


On my way home from Jersey City I decided to just drive through the Park and see if there was anything interesting too see and take pictures of (besides the NYC skyline of course).







I was pleasantly surprise to find the Central RailRoad of New Jersey, better known as Jersey Central Lines.


 

I never knew about this station nor it's history. It was opened in 1880's and closed in 1976. After immigrants were cleared through Ellis Island many headed to this station to begin their journey into the US. The Wikipedia page as a lot of great information about the history of this terminal and where the lines ran.
 
 

I was not dressed properly for a windy day out by the water so I took a few more moments to pay my respects at the 9/11 Memorial and headed home .


Phase I of the New Jersey "Empty Sky" 9/11 memorial.








3 comments:

  1. The last picture is really cool. Was the Philadelphia Express on the Jersey Central line or is that an active train? If it's not, I wish it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were all Jersey Central Lines at one point. I wonder why they all became defunct :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. that train is cool, I didn't know about it either. - u.

    ReplyDelete