Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pierogi Party







Might as well keep going while I'm at it right? My cousin organized a Pierogi (Polish spelling) or Perogi (English spelling) Party this weekend. First of it's kind, she asked our grandmother and her mother to show us, first generation Polish-American women in the family, how to make them. We started off the afternoon with an appetizer of homemade chicken soup.



My aunt and grandmother made the filling (farmers cheese and potato mixture) and the dough (flour, egg, water and a hint of olive oil.)  The dough had to be rolled out and cut into circles (here we used the top of a pilsner glass to make life easier.)


Next you put a dollop of the filling and pinch it close. My grandmother was attempting to show us her technique she had mastered over the past 50 years and expected us to figure it out in 2 minutes. The MOST important thing is to seal them so they don't open and "explode" in the water.




Then you drop them in a pot of boiling water. When they float to the top, they are done. Add a little melted butter to the bowl of hot pierogies and as an added treat, put fried onion bits or caramelized onion bits on top. Enjoy!



By the way, I think I was too busy eating the finished product that I forgot to take a picture of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment